The History of the Goldsboro VFC- as documented and presented for our 50th anniversary- April 1998.

On March 5, 1948, a fire was discovered by a group of town’s folk while returning from a birthday party of a local minister. The fire was in the Jones’ General Store, located in the center of town. The alarm was turned in. Greensboro and Marydel fire companies responded. However, before the two companies arrived, the flames had spread throughout the store and into a family dwelling. The home of Mr. Lee Cartwright was also burning. The fire destroyed both the store and the dwelling before it was brought under control. The roof of the Post Office had also caught fire. The firemen were able to save the mail and postal stock.

The town’s folk had seen first hand how fast a fire could destroy their property. On March 8, 1948, the citizens gathered at the local church to discuss ideas in providing a water supply as well as organizing a fire company for Goldsboro. During this meeting, funds were raised and within one month, the fire company had purchased its first truck. This truck was a “Reo Pumper” bought from Easton Volunteer Fire Department.

The Goldsboro Volunteer Fire Company was incorporated on April 22, 1948, with the state of Maryland. The company’s first officers were President Clark Quillen, Vice President William Collier, Sr., and the Secretary/Treasurer was T. Noble Jarrell Jr. The first fire station was located in a garage owned by Noble J. Dhue. The fire company members found the necessity for a water supply so they made a small tanker. It was time to find a larger area for their station so the company bought the old Post Office and converted it into a fire station.

During the early years, the methods of receiving alarms were either by calling Clark Smith’s store during store hours or by calling Lee Cartwright’s home in the evening and night hours. They would in turn activate the fire siren. The new fire company responded to a total of ten fires for the year of 1948.

The fire company was found to be a necessity and began to grow. In 1952, the company purchased a new “Ford Barton-American Pumper” with 500 GPM/1,000 gallons of water. The cost of this new pumper was $16,300.00 which was quite a large sum of money in those days. Money had to be raised and the way to do that was to have carnivals and dinners. The county did provide a small allotment.

Through the years, the firemen continued on. September of 1958, the fire company was the proud host of the “County Field Days” that included oil fires, car fires and hay fires. The Dover Fire Department had recently bought an aerial truck and was invited over to Goldsboro to display it. Later that year, this fire company looked into the possible purchase of a foam attachment for the cost of $100.00.

February of 1960, brought new ideas and thoughts. One of them was to use the Boy Scouts as extra help with field and woods fires if necessary. The fire company tested the idea and found that the scouts could be used if needed. Later that year, in November, a discussion took place about the safety of the firemen. They needed masks to protect them while fighting fires from smoke inhalation. So at the January 1961 meeting, the company had demonstrators there from both “Kemmox Gas Masks” and “Scott Air Packs”. The company decided to purchase two Scott Air Packs and two spare bottles for a total cost of $551.00 

The following month, it was reported that the company’s Number 1 engine was unsafe and did not meet Maryland’s Underwriters Guidelines. At that time a truck committee was formed. The company had to make a decision of what to do. They decided to purchase another engine. This engine was ordered at a cost of $14,810.00 and was a “1961 International Barton-American” with a 500 GPM/1,000 gallons of water. We are proud to say that this engine is still owned and used by the Goldsboro Volunteer Fire Company to this day. It is known as Engine 701.

Another year passed, however the new year brought further discussion regarding safety of the firemen. A lot of discussion took place over the pro’s and con’s of placing safety belts in the engines and a decision was not made at that time.

April of 1962 brought about some good news for the company. The County raised the allotment $700.00 for a total of $2,500.00. That money would help the firemen out a lot. They were running out of room again and needed to purchase some property. In February of 1963, the company placed a $100.00 deposit on the Ober Property next door to where the fire station was located. In May of the same year, discussions took place regarding a “County Central Alarm Office” and this office would have 24 hour coverage.

February of 1967, the fire company decided to build an addition onto the existing fire house to include an engine bay and room for the Post Office. The cost of the new addition was estimated at $13,719.00. In November the company discussed the purchase of a 5,500 gallon tanker. Later, in the following year, the company purchased the tanker. This time it was a tractor trailer tanker which cost $40,000.00. To actually get this unit on the road and in working condition for this particular use they had to spend an additional $3,100.00 for a total cost of $43,100.00. This tanker was a true asset to the immediate area as well as neighboring areas. In November of 1972, the fire company assisted Harrington, Delaware Fire Company with a gas explosion involving a tractor trailer tanker carrying gas. They assisted the neighboring town November 10, 11 and 12th.

The fire company celebrated 25 years of continued service November of 1973. A poem was written for the celebration by Evelyn Ross.

A few years went by before the next vehicle purchase was made and then they purchased a 1 ton panel truck from the military to use as a rescue truck in October of 1974. In November of the same year the purchase of a 1975 Dodge Pick-up was made to use as a brush truck.

January of 1975 discussion was made to look into either buying the Firehouse Foods building or putting up a building out back of the current station. They also considered the possibility of building a new station in Henderson. Then in February the deal on Firehouse Foods fell through. In September, the company bought a 28’ x 60” building and built it behind the existing station to have the tanker and brush truck parked in at a cost of $6,200.00. The next discussion of a purchase was a flashing light in house at the station for the cost of between five and twelve thousand dollars.

In July of 1976, there was a new truck committee formed. In November, the company bought a “1977 International Barton-American Pumper” for the sum of $46,000.00.

Nineteen seventy-eight brought about the fire company’s thirtieth anniversary of which Don Bartlett was chairman of the committee. Evelyn Ross again wrote a poem. Then in January of 1979 the first discussions of a medical assist team began. The county allotment for that year was $12,500.00. Finalization of the first company banquet was done in August of 1979.

In January of 1980 the rescue truck was replaced with a newer truck purchased from Greensboro Volunteer Fire Company for $1,000.00. In September of the same year, the beginning of discussions took place regarding bingo. In October of 1980, the property in which our current fire station is located was purchased.

In April of 1982, discussions began regarding the replacement of the tractor trailer tanker. In August, the discussion of the fire house was brought forward along with a special meeting regarding the approval of the purchase of a tractor trailer tanker for $21,000.00. In September, it was reported that progress on the grant money for the new fire station was being made. In October, the committee was formed for the building of a new station and home alert monitors were purchased for the members.

In February of 1983, the tractor was sold to Sudlersville Fire Company.

January of 1984, eight Lifeguard alarms for the air packs were purchased. Later in the year, August 13, 1984 due to a new job in North Carolina, the President Ed Conklin resigned from his position.

September of 1985 brought the actual beginnings of the construction of the new fire house. This was a 4 bay station that began at a cost of $250,000.00. Fifty percent of this money was funded through the Maryland State Emergency Trust and the other fifty percent through a local bank. It was in this month that we also sold the old tanker to McCall Volunteer Fire Company in Brenton, Alabama for a sum of $500.00.

January of 1986, the company bought a Rescue Truck from Northeast Volunteer Fire Company for $15,000.00. In September of that year, the company moved into the new fire station. This took place September 12, 1986.

August of 1987, there was a plaque and flag pole dedication for Mr. Lee Cartwright for his 39 years of continued service. In January of 1989 the plan to begin running medical assist and to be on line by March was put into action. The county’s new box alarm system went into effect. Also in March the old fire station was sold for the price of $79,000.00. In August the rescue truck was refurbished with a new chassis and refurbed box for $25,000.00. November brought the drilling of a well for filling the trucks with water. December 11,1989, while responding to a house fire, Engine 702 was involved in an accident and injured the crew of six. The fire truck was struck by a county roads dump truck. The fire truck was totaled. On December 17 money was approved by the Maryland Emergency Trust Fund for a 1990 E-One 1,250 GPM/1,000 gallons of water, six man enclosed cab Engine for $190,000.00

In February of 1990 the fire company bought a used 1977 Mack pumper 1,000 GPM, 750 gallons of water for $42,000.00. In March a used Hurst Tool System was purchased from Harrington Fire Company to place on the rescue truck for $700.00.

Due to the safety of our fire fighters, in March of 1991 we had the Mack enclosed to seat 7 people.

In September of 1992, Mr. Lee Cartwright was induced into the Delmarva Hall of Fame in Salisbury, Maryland for his outstanding dedication to the Goldsboro Volunteer Fire Company.

As the years went by, the fire company continued to grow. Many new members joined. The members, both old and new, eagerly took the training that was offered to them. Some wanted to only fight fires and others wanted to fight fires and also be trained for assisting with medical calls. The rescue truck rarely scratched on a call due to lack of staffing. Not only was the fire company itself growing, but bingo was also growing. There were times when not only the hall was full of players but the kitchen was full. We tried to make every player as comfortable as possible without turning anyone away. It was time for the hall to grow.

Finally, after lots of discussions, the fire company voted to build a new hall in April of 1995. The cost of this hall was quite a large sum ($286,000.00) but the treasurer felt we could support the cost from our fund raising events. The fire company could not have made a better judgment call that month when the voting finally took place with everyone in favor of this building; for in July of the same year, the community hall we had used for so many years for functions caught fire and was destroyed. This was a difficult situation. Bingo was our main fundraiser. Fortunately, the new hall was constructed and occupied by May of the following year. Bingo began with a wonderful crowd of players that continue to support us still today.

The fire company was only equipped with a rescue truck for medical assist calls and another company would provide the transportation to the hospital for the folks who called for help. We had discussed the issue of an ambulance coming to Goldsboro, but not everyone wanted to hear about it. In June of 1996, Denton Volunteer Fire Company’s Ambulance Squad gave this fire company an ambulance. We felt it would be rather rude to decline this gift, so it was accepted. We even took the plunge and tried it out. Eventually, we were hooked. So we decided to buy a new one. In February of 1997, the purchase of a 1996 PL Custom Ambulance was made for the cost of $68,500.00. At the same time the voting took place for the purchase of this ambulance, we also discussed what the possibilities were for the gifted ambulance. It was decided that our chief would call Denton’s ambulance squad asking what their preference would be. They told him we could do whatever we decided to do with it and it would be fine with them. So we returned the favor and gave the gifted ambulance to Elliott’s Island Volunteer Fire Company.

This year, the company voted to buy a 1998 Pierce Saber pumper with an eight man cab, 1.500GPM, 1,000 gallons of water at a cost of $215,000.00. This pumper is currently being built and the company should have it in their possession in August 1998. The current Engine 703, which is a “Mack Pumper” is up for sale. The asking price for the “Mack” is $35,000.00. The “E-One”, Engine 702 will become the second run engine and the new “Pierce Saber” will be the first run engine.

The ambulance to date has had very few problems. We have a total of five crews to run on it. We currently have eleven EMT-B’s. The EMS Coordinator is Joe Hendricks. We will take patients to the area hospital of their request unless there is a need to go to the closest medical facility. The training that the EMTs receive is never ending. They dedicate many hours to training so when they go on a call they can provide the best level of care possible for their qualifications.

The fire company has forty-five active members at the present time. We all have jobs to do and work together to get most of them done. Our “Open House” was this past Sunday (April 19, 1998) and we had approximately 33 members present. Smoky the Bear and the Forestry Service were here, a 911 representative with a telephone to show people what to do when they call into 911 was here also. Station 56, (Marydel Fire Company) came and demonstrated the process of automobile extrication. The MediVac was scheduled to fly in, but could not due to inclement weather. Everyone who was here seemed to have a good time.

This is the ending of a half century of history. We apologize for any errors as we read through the minutes we are in possession of and asked the few people with knowledge of the history. We hope you enjoy this history for the next 50 years and the historians of that time can have fun reading our interesting minutes. A copy of this booklet/history will also be place in the safe for those historians of the future.       



Photo of the Day


Fire Alarm Statistics

2022 153
2021 135
2020 134
EMS Alarm Statistics

2022 0
2021 0
2020 0
Live Run log
Nature:? - Must Enter Type
Address: Main Street and Old Line Road City: Goldsboro, MD 21636
Nature:? - Must Enter Type
Address: Templeville Road and Marydel Road City: Marydel, MD 21649
Address: 104 Granby Street City: Greensboro, MD 21639
Address: Henderson Road and Castle Hall Road City: Goldsboro, MD 21636


73 Currently: Fair
Backstage Email